Thanks for visiting my blog which is all about my coastal walk round Islay in aid of the Marine Conservation Society.

I have now completed my walk but you can still sponsor me by visiting my online sponsor page :
www.justgiving.com/joiningupthecoastline

Thursday 17 January 2008

Seal Bay to Knock Bay

Seal Bay
Oh dear! I'd better go and find out what their proper names are - Loch an t-Sàilean to Loch a-Chnuic.
Another of those - looks easy on the map stretches but, as with most of the east coast, believe me, it isn't! Ages ago I had asked Fiona Middleton, wife of land owner, George Middleton, if she would accompany me for this stretch and we finally set off on Saturday 12th January to do it. There having been two Loggerhead Turtles recently washed up on Islay's shores, we scoured the storm battered beaches for 'bodies' but, fortunately, didn't find any. The tide was quite low, enabling us to cross briefly to Eilean Imersay before cutting across to Kildalton House for refreshments before setting off on the more arduous section of the walk. Yes, we missed out some nooks and crannies, but the last time I attempted this difficult section I had to make a hasty retreat as the coastline is impassable. The path from Kildalton House to Knock Bay is now largely overgrown with rhododendron but we bravely fought our way through bush, brier and bog to the small bay. Just to make sure we also walked this tiny sandy bay before retracing our steps to the road and the car.

No comments: